You can modify only one chart or caption at a time.
You can use Edit Mode to:
- Adjust the size of all the fonts at once.
- Change the main title and axis titles.
- Adjust the font size of the chart's main title, axis titles, axis labels, annotations, and text.
- Change the colors used in the chart.
- Add text to the chart.
- Add annotations and arrows to help call out important observations.
- Change the size of the markers in line, scatter, and stacked area charts.
- Change the contents of an annotation.
To open Edit Mode click the Edit Mode button in the chart's or note's header:
Then, use the menu to modify your chart. You can also add a caption using the field at the bottom:
When you're happy with your edits, be sure to click the Save button.
Change Titles and Font Sizes
Simply click the chart's title or an axis's title to change it. You can change the size of the titles, labels, and annotations from the menu.
Change the Color
You can change the colors used for each value used to color the chart. On some charts, the y-axis values are used to color the chart. On others, it might be the x-axis or set explicitly (such as the
bubble color parameter in a bubble chart). For example, in a bar chart with the values of the TicketClass column on the x-axis and the values of the TicketPrice and Age columns on the y-axis, you can change the colors used for both the TicketPrice and Age values.
To change the color:
- Select the value whose color you want to change in the menu.
- Click the color box to open the color selector.
- Choose the color you want to use. You can use the color wheel, hex codes, RGB values, or pick from a range of default colors.
To add text to your chart, such as a call-out or note:
- Click Add Text in the menu.
- Drag and drop the text onto the chart.
- Click the text to edit it.
Annotations are similar to text, but they also use arrows to help you draw attention to important parts of your chart. To add them:
- Click Add Annotation in the menu.
- Drag and drop the annotation onto the chart. Note that you can click and drag the arrow to move the entire annotation (including the text). You can also click and drag the text to change the direction of the arrow.
- Click the text to edit it.
Add a Caption
Captions let you describe a chart for other users. To add a caption:
- Click the Add Caption icon from the menu.
- Enter your caption.
- Click Save.
Optionally, you can double click the the chart's caption to edit it.
Clicking the Edit Mode button for one of the following charts opens the Chart Builder:
- Scatter charts
- Bubble charts
- Donut charts
- Line charts
- Box charts
The Chart Builder has all of the same options as Edit Mode, while also letting you change your axis vales, change your chart type, and add filters to your charts. It also allows you to see a preview of your modified chart before applying the changes, which makes creating an interesting and useful chart much easier.
Depending on the chart type, the required fields include the X and Y-axis values, density, and bubble size. You can switch the values of each to alter the appearance of the chart. A preview of what the new chart will look like appears on the right side of the chart builder.
Depending on the chart type, the optional fields include groups, subplots, slider, label, and color options. These options allow you to tune and detail your visualizations.
Filtering based on time or date criteria is currently not supported.
You can use the Filters section to define expressions that filter the data shown in your chart. Multiple filters can be added to a single chart, and saved filters can be removed later by opening the chart in the Chart Builder and removing them from the Filters section.
The fields in the customization section help you make your visualizations more interesting by letting you:
- Change font sizes.
- Use custom colors.
- Add labels and annotations.