A snapshot saves a session's datasets in a DataChat object. Unlike recipes, snapshots are saved states of a database that you can reconnect to at a later time without needing to reprocess data. Snapshots can be used to capture a time slice of a live-updating data stream, re-use a dataset in a different session, share the datasets from a session with another user, or update large datasets at convenient times from a database.
Snapshots are similar to recipes with a couple of key differences:
|Definition||A list of steps that can be loaded into different sessions.||A collection of datasets from a session that can be loaded into different sessions.|
|Use Case||Automate processes, share work with others, or save session state for later.||Work with a cleaned version of data in an existing or new session.|
You can create a snapshot from within a session and open it from the homepage.
Save a Snapshot
You can either save all datasets in the current session as a snapshot, or use the chat box to select specific datasets.
You can save one snapshot in each session. If you already created a snapshot in the session and save the current snapshot with a new name, the current snapshot is saved with the new name and replaces the former snapshot. If you save with the same name, you are prompted to either overwrite with the same name—updating the former snapshot with the current one—or cancel and save with a different name.
From within your current session, select Save in the sidebar. The Save form opens.
- Select Snapshot.
- Enter a name for your new snapshot.
- Click Submit.
To run a skill, enter in the chat box:
Save the current session as a snapshot <name>
To save specific datasets from your session, enter in the chat box:
Save the current session as a snapshot <name> adding the datasets <datasets>
Rename a Snapshot
To rename a snapshot, select Snapshots in the sidebar of the homepage.
- Select the snapshot to rename.
- Right-click on the highlighted snapshot and click Rename Snapshot. Or, click More options > Rename Snapshot. The Rename Snapshot form appears.
- Enter a new name and click Submit.
Open a Snapshot
You can open a new session with the datasets contained in a snapshot in several ways:
The first session is named
<SnapshotName>. The next session is named
<SnapshotName_1>, and subsequent sessions are appended with increasing numbers.
To use an existing snapshot in a new session from the homepage, select Snapshots in the sidebar.
- Double-click the snapshot you'd like to open.
- A new session opens and loads the datasets contained in the snapshot.
To use an existing snapshot from within a session, click Load from the sidebar. The Load Data form opens.
- Click on the snapshot from the Snapshots section. Or, click "load data from my snapshots" to look for an existing snapshot.
- The datasets contained in the snapshot load within the session.
To use an existing snapshot from within a session, enter
Load data from the snapshot <snapshot name> in the chat box. The datasets contained in the snapshot load within the session.
Delete a Snapshot
To delete a snapshot from the homepage:
- Select Snapshots in the sidebar of the homepage.
- Select the snapshot to delete.
- Right-click on the highlighted snapshot and click Delete Snapshot. Or, click More options > Delete Snapshot.
To delete a snapshot from within an existing session, enter in the chatbox:
Forget the snapshot <snapshot name>.
Any charts created from the snapshot are also deleted.
Refresh a Snapshot
To refresh a snapshot by running the recipe associated with the snapshot, select Snapshots in the sidebar of the homepage.
- Select the snapshot to refresh.
- Right-click on the highlighted snapshot and click Refresh Snapshot. Or, click the Refresh Snapshot button. A new session opens and replays the recipe associated with the snapshot.
To refresh a snapshot from within an existing session, enter in the chat box:
Refresh the snapshot <snapshot name>.